I’m a jazz
enthusiast obsessive, and write about it occasionally for JazzWise, LondonJazzNews, and here, on my jazz blog devoted to musical happenings in and around Bristol. I used to document absolutely everything, for my own interest, but have shifted down a gear to now post news of upcoming gigs that catch my eye and reviews of ones that seem out of the ordinary. There are also links to Bristol venues and events listings if you want to know what’s going on.
By the way, it’s very kind of you to send me your CD, but I almost certainly won’t review it, and if I did the readership of a provincial jazz blog almost certainly wouldn’t do you much good. Do tell me about any under-publicised gigs, though, and I’ll make noise either here or (more likely) on twitter.
Posts start below.
- Bristol gigs this week… - Are previewed here, as usual. I have one to add. It’s not strictly a jazz gig, but if you have paid any attention to good stuff in the last decade you’ll want to know that Jasper Hoiby is visiting Cafe Kino in Stokes Croft on Friday. He’s accompanying singer and songwriter Ana Silvera (I think they […]
- Recent CD reviews - Last time I compiled them here back in July, I found I’d been reviewing a CD a month for LondonJazznews. Seems like that’s now a habit, as there are now half a dozen more to mention (most recent first). Maybe you’ll find an idea for Christmas…? Django Bates’ Beloved – The Study of Touch. Latest from […]
- Bristol jazz this week – Dec 4 - Don’t seem to be getting to any gigs at the moment – but here are some for the rest of you – listed on Bristol 247 as usual.
- Bristol jazz week, No 27 - Nothing to add this week, so just your regular link to Tony Benjamin’s comprehensive preview of thew week’s gigs in Bristol (and, tonight, in Bath…). Read all the details here.
- Bristol jazz week, and Monk at LJF - Here’s the invaluable, but sometimes elusive, listing of the week’s gigs in and around town from Tony Benjamin for Bristol247. He mentions all the main attractions, as usual. Highlights include Greg Cordez‘ gorgeous quintet at the BeBop club on Friday. Greg gigs sparingly, and his new line-up, and new CD, showcase a fine talent for […]
- Bristol jazz this week, (and Festivals etc) - Here’s Tony Benjamin’s weekly preview – and I am reminded that linking here might be helpful by the, ah, persistence you need to actually find it on the Bristol247 site. As usual it covers an amazing selection of gigs – special mention for Iain Ballamy at the Fringe, which is bound to be full, and […]
- Misha and more - Such a feast of live music at the moment. I am indulging, in anticipation of thinner times in December and January, and it’s already been a memorable musical week. Off to the London Jazz Festival shortly for some reviewing (Pat Metheny, Schaerer/Wollny/Parisien/Peirani and Mark Guiliana since you ask – the reviews will follow on LondonJazzNews.com). […]
- Bristol jazz week – 6 Nov - Yet another packed week, as detailed here by Tony Benjamin, whose preview for Bristol247 seems to get more comprehensive every week. The ICP Orchestra in Bath tonight (Monday) have already been mentioned here, as has Andy Sheppard at St George’s on Thursday. Also an eye-catching prospect is the previously unheralded double bill downstairs at Cafe Kino […]