I’m a jazz
enthusiast obsessive, and write about it occasionally for JazzWise, LondonJazzNews, and here, on my jazz blog devoted to musical happenings in and around Bristol. I used to document absolutely everything, for my own interest, but have shifted down a gear to now post news of upcoming gigs that catch my eye and reviews of ones that seem out of the ordinary. There are also links to Bristol venues and events listings if you want to know what’s going on.
By the way, it’s very kind of you to send me your CD, but I almost certainly won’t review it, and if I did the readership of a provincial jazz blog almost certainly wouldn’t do you much good. Do tell me about any under-publicised gigs, though, and I’ll make noise either here or (more likely) on twitter.
Posts start below.
- Jazz diary – May 22 and into June - The weekly Bristol jazz listing from Tony Benjamin is rich indeed this week. Read it here. Aside from the usual local sparklers, there are three visits from touring bands on successive nights, any one of which would be a must-hear in a quieter week. I’m especially looking forward to Mark Lewandowski‘s “Waller” trio with the […]
- Bristol jazz diary - can be found here. no time to say more this week…
- Matana Roberts, Ian William Craig. Cube, May 11 - The Cube is almost dark when the music starts. Ian William Craig is illuminated by the bulbs hooked up to a collection of, what, cassette players? Hard to tell in the gloom. Definitely some old school tech, anyway. It doesn’t matter. His set is all about the sound. A trained voice (later, I learn he […]
- Bristol this week - Behold the regular link to Tony Benjamin’s weekly preview on Bristol 247. I’ve already mentioned the John O’Gallagher visit to the Fringe on Wednesday. There are a couple of other things to add. There’s a rare performance of Alan Ginsberg’s Howl at the Greenbank in Easton on Thursday, voiced by Nick Moore, and with free […]
- Thursday at the Cube – Matana Roberts - Was going to do a little preview of this intriguing prospect – but I see the gig is now sold out so will try and write about it after. Meantime, here’s a link to my review of her last recording, just for interest. I found it a compelling and moving work, hard to characterise but […]
- Fabulous Fringe - An enjoyable, mostly off the cuff, evening last Wednesday at the Fringe in Clifton, when Guess the Bleating – a bunch of old Bristol acquaintances with a shared jazz history – had one of their rare get togethers. That history turned out to be one part “my heart belongs to Blue Note”, one part Ornette […]
- Jazz – back in Bristol - There’s a lot happening in Bristol this week, for those not jazzed out by the Cheltenham festival. Tony Benjamin has the full list here. As he says it’s a pretty brassy few days in prospect – even brassier in fact, when you add the Hot 8 Brass Band, hotfoot from Cheltenham, at the Fleece on […]
- Cheltenham time - Here’s the regular gig listing on Bristol247. There’s plenty going on in Bristol this week, but as Tony Benjamin says the real action is up the M5 in Cheltenham (also an easy train ride if you, like me, live carless). He’s done a separate, comprehensive Cheltenham preview, too, which is here – Bristol247’s jazz coverage […]