I’m a jazz
enthusiast obsessive, and write about it occasionally for JazzWise, LondonJazzNews, and here, on my jazz blog devoted to musical happenings in and around Bristol. I used to document absolutely everything, for my own interest, but have shifted down a gear to now post news of upcoming gigs that catch my eye and reviews of ones that seem out of the ordinary. There are also links to Bristol venues and events listings if you want to know what’s going on.
By the way, it’s very kind of you to send me your CD, but I almost certainly won’t review it, and if I did the readership of a provincial jazz blog almost certainly wouldn’t do you much good. Do tell me about any under-publicised gigs, though, and I’ll make noise either here or (more likely) on twitter.
Posts start below.
- A European excursion - This blog’s tireless quest to bring you news of music from all corners of – well Bristol, mainly, but one or two other places – never stops. So a few words about impressions of Vienna and Budapest last week (so I can find these musicians again, and by way of atonement for lack of gig […]
- Bristol jazz this week - Here’s Bristol247’s weekly guide, a day earlier than usual. Especially excellent things at Future Inns and the BeBop club this week, as Tony Benjamin writes. Elliott Galvin’s trio were great fun last time out. I don’t know Rick Simpson, but his band certainly has a fine personnel. The venue’s blurb pasted below, for interest. Rick […]
- Jazz this week - Almost forgot… but late notice of Tony Benjamin’s Bristol listing for this week – here. Etta James story at St George’s already gone, but still time to book for Art Themen at the Fringe tonight if you’re quick (I think). Been listening to him since the late 1970s, and his mature style is still […]
- Bristol jazz this week - Regular link to Tony Benjamin’s comprehensive preview on Bristol247 is here. The double duo date at Future Inns on Thursday is a nice idea. But you’re too late to plan for John Etheridge (and others) at St George’s on Friday: looks like that one’s sold out.
- Jazz this week – March 21 - Late this week, due to jazz festival distractions. Now that’s all over, normal weekly gigs resume, as Tony Benjamin rounds up here. Last weekend was pretty full of music, but I think I might be ready for some more by the time Sam Crockatt gets going at the BeBop club on Friday… Meantime, various reviews […]
- Play that thing! (again, please) - Had a nice evening last week meeting other contributors to LondonJazzNews. So (navel-gazing alert) here’s a post about writing – but also about music. There are plenty of interestingly difficult things about criticism, and music criticism in particular. Writing about music is like dancing about architecture. (Don’t know who first said that but I like […]
- Bristol jazz this week – March 13 - Here’s the usual run down of local gigs from Bristol 247. There’s more going on than just the Jazz Festival, you know…
- Bristol jazz this week - Here’s the regular pointer to Tony Benjamin’s preview on Bristol247. Plenty to choose from, all styles… And a couple of extras from me: The free music sessions at the Greenbank in Easton have a date this Thursday (9th), with line-ups as follows – Vostok 5 – Matthew Grigg guitar, amplifier Rebecca Sneddon saxophones, Roger Telford […]