I’m a jazz
enthusiast obsessive, and write about it occasionally for JazzWise, LondonJazzNews, and here, on my jazz blog devoted to musical happenings in and around Bristol. I used to document absolutely everything, for my own interest, but have shifted down a gear to now post news of upcoming gigs that catch my eye and reviews of ones that seem out of the ordinary. There are also links to Bristol venues and events listings if you want to know what’s going on.
By the way, it’s very kind of you to send me your CD, but I almost certainly won’t review it, and if I did the readership of a provincial jazz blog almost certainly wouldn’t do you much good. Do tell me about any under-publicised gigs, though, and I’ll make noise either here or (more likely) on twitter.
Posts start below.
- Rambling on: 4. All in the mind.i. I’ve tried to approach this six minutes of musical magic from the outside, as it were. But now a … More
- Rambling on 3: A kind of bluesIf I replay what the four musicians did in that studio in Hollywood a little more than sixty years ago, … More
- Rambling on 2: Who is doing this? And what are they doing?The plan for these rambles is to look at reasons why music appeals, then apply them to the one example, … More
- Rambling on… (First of a series)Here’s my little experiment for 2022. It begins with classic piece of music from the middle of the last century. … More
- Old and new dreamsI’ve come to the end of a self-appointed task (and indulgence): a year of writing a weekly note on a … More
- I could go on…I’ve spent a lot of time listening to music I love so it wasn’t too hard to unearth a year’s … More
- 52. Deep connectionCouple in Spirit. Keith and Julie Tippett, 1987 How to finish this year-long series? A question that matters to no … More
- 51. A distinctive voice in the crowdBig Jim Does the Tango for You. From Bennie Wallace, Big Jim’s Tango, 1983 There are too many tenor saxophone … More