I’m a jazz
enthusiast obsessive, and write about it occasionally for JazzWise, LondonJazzNews, and here, on my jazz blog devoted to musical happenings in and around Bristol. I used to document absolutely everything, for my own interest, but have shifted down a gear to now post news of upcoming gigs that catch my eye and reviews of ones that seem out of the ordinary. There are also links to Bristol venues and events listings if you want to know what’s going on.
By the way, it’s very kind of you to send me your CD, but I almost certainly won’t review it, and if I did the readership of a provincial jazz blog almost certainly wouldn’t do you much good. Do tell me about any under-publicised gigs, though, and I’ll make noise either here or (more likely) on twitter.
Posts start below.
- Bristol jazz week – Feb - Need to make sure this goes up today as there’s a notable early gig this week – namely Led Bib at the Canteen tomorrow (Tuesday). The rocking, raucous outfit are back with a new CD after a three year break from recording, and touring all over – congrats to the Canteen for booking them in. […]
- Bristol jazz week – Feb 13 - A late posting this week, following Bristol247 – who have now provided Tony Benjamin’s essential guide to this week’s jazz offerings. Which is good, as there’s more going on than I thought. Looking forward to catching John Law at the Bebop club on Friday, after missing his Bristol visit (with a different band) last week. […]
- (Bristol) Jazz listing resumed… - Following a blip last week (unless I missed something), Bristol247 has the usual knowledgeable weekly jazz selection from Tony Benjamin back on offer here. Includes a great chance to hear John Law‘s new quartet with Sam Crockett – leader on one of 2016’s best UK CD releases – at Future Inns on Thursday, if you don’t […]
- The magic of music in small rooms - There’s a special pleasure in hearing live jazz in small spaces. This blog hasn’t offered many reviews lately. But the last two gigs I’ve caught will probably go unnoticed elswehere, and both struck me as exemplars of this often-found delight. First was Julien Alenda‘s trio at the BeBop club last week. Tenor sax, bass and […]
- Notable jazz visit - The usual weekly listing on Bristol247 doesn’t seem to be up yet this week… No time to do one of my own, but do note that the very interesting New York also player John O’Gallagher is coming to the Fringe in Clifton tonight (Weds), along with bass/trumpet player Percy Pursglove and the local A-team […]
- Bristol jazz week – and beyond… Jan 23 - Here’s the weekly link to Tony Benjamin‘s Jazz preview on Bristol247. I can confirm that Andy Hague‘s big band (Hen and Chicken on Sunday) are a fine ensemble and will sound spectacular in the upstairs room in Southville. Also, while I’m sure the trio appearing at the Be-Bop club will be great, too, you might […]
- Bristol jazz week – 17 Jan - Here’s Tony Benjamin‘s round-up of forthcoming gigs on Bristol247. You should read it. That is all.
- Bristol jazz diary – Jan 10 - Here’s the link for the regular weekly roundup on Bristol247, for those who still need pointing in that direction. Ignore this bit, folks – the website entry is undated: turns out the gig is on Jan 26th...[It doesn’t include “Hammond, Hammond and Hopkins” at Future Inns on Thursday, as they have only just updated their […]