I’m a jazz
enthusiast obsessive, and write about it occasionally for JazzWise, LondonJazzNews, and here, on my jazz blog devoted to musical happenings in and around Bristol. I used to document absolutely everything, for my own interest, but have shifted down a gear to now post news of upcoming gigs that catch my eye and reviews of ones that seem out of the ordinary. There are also links to Bristol venues and events listings if you want to know what’s going on.
By the way, it’s very kind of you to send me your CD, but I almost certainly won’t review it, and if I did the readership of a provincial jazz blog almost certainly wouldn’t do you much good. Do tell me about any under-publicised gigs, though, and I’ll make noise either here or (more likely) on twitter.
Posts start below.
- Jazz this week – March 21 - Late this week, due to jazz festival distractions. Now that’s all over, normal weekly gigs resume, as Tony Benjamin rounds up here. Last weekend was pretty full of music, but I think I might be ready for some more by the time Sam Crockatt gets going at the BeBop club on Friday… Meantime, various reviews […]
- Play that thing! (again, please) - Had a nice evening last week meeting other contributors to LondonJazzNews. So (navel-gazing alert) here’s a post about writing – but also about music. There are plenty of interestingly difficult things about criticism, and music criticism in particular. Writing about music is like dancing about architecture. (Don’t know who first said that but I like […]
- Bristol jazz this week – March 13 - Here’s the usual run down of local gigs from Bristol 247. There’s more going on than just the Jazz Festival, you know…
- Bristol jazz this week - Here’s the regular pointer to Tony Benjamin’s preview on Bristol247. Plenty to choose from, all styles… And a couple of extras from me: The free music sessions at the Greenbank in Easton have a date this Thursday (9th), with line-ups as follows – Vostok 5 – Matthew Grigg guitar, amplifier Rebecca Sneddon saxophones, Roger Telford […]
- Festival highlights - Less than a fortnight to go: It’s time to start getting excited about Bristol’s own festival. I’ve already previewed it for my friends at LondonJazzNews, but here’s another helping – with comments on some personal highlights. I’m concentrating here on the sets outside the main concert hall, although there’s plenty of good stuff there, too […]
- Bristol jazz diary – 28 Feb - Here’s the link to Tony Benjamin‘s regular preview for Bristol247, with an excellent sequence of gigs from Wednesday through Sunday evening this week… Ian Storror’s Sunday date at the Hen and Chicken looks best of the bunch, as is often the case, but Roberto Manzin at the BeBop club two days before sounds pretty interesting, […]
- Bristol jazz week – Feb - Need to make sure this goes up today as there’s a notable early gig this week – namely Led Bib at the Canteen tomorrow (Tuesday). The rocking, raucous outfit are back with a new CD after a three year break from recording, and touring all over – congrats to the Canteen for booking them in. […]
- Bristol jazz week – Feb 13 - A late posting this week, following Bristol247 – who have now provided Tony Benjamin’s essential guide to this week’s jazz offerings. Which is good, as there’s more going on than I thought. Looking forward to catching John Law at the Bebop club on Friday, after missing his Bristol visit (with a different band) last week. […]