I’m a jazz
enthusiast obsessive, and write about it occasionally for JazzWise, LondonJazzNews, and here, on my jazz blog devoted to musical happenings in and around Bristol. I used to document absolutely everything, for my own interest, but have shifted down a gear to now post news of upcoming gigs that catch my eye and reviews of ones that seem out of the ordinary. There are also links to Bristol venues and events listings if you want to know what’s going on.
By the way, it’s very kind of you to send me your CD, but I almost certainly won’t review it, and if I did the readership of a provincial jazz blog almost certainly wouldn’t do you much good. Do tell me about any under-publicised gigs, though, and I’ll make noise either here or (more likely) on twitter.
Posts start below.
- Bristol jazz week – what’s the secret? - A quiet week again – as detailed here on Bristol247. Mildly intrigued by the “secret special guests” gig Tony Benjamin mentions here at the Canteen tomorrow night (Tuesday). I wonder who it is? I wonder if it will be jazz? I wonder if I’ll be bothered to stroll down the road and find out? Well, […]
- Bristol jazz week – August 6 - Out of town as I write this (though back tomorrow) but apparently there is still some good music this week in Bristol. Tony Benjamin has details, as usual. And August gem The Fringe again has the top item: the second home town appearance for the new, six piece Dakhla, now with bass in the line-up. […]
- Gig of the week – Andrew Bain - Wouldn’t you know, the week I’ve no time to preview, the Bristol247 listing is late. I’ll have another look for it tomorrow… (Which I’ve now done – so go here for the listing) But I do urge you to try and get to the Fringe tomorrow (Wednesday) to catch Andrew Bain’s quintet, which conveniently I […]
- Bristol jazz week – July 23 - A quick one to point you toward the usual weekly listing on Bristol247. As Tony Benjamin says there, there’s some jazz-related stuff at Womad. If you feel like travelling a bit further, there’s also the Llandudno Jazz Festival, which is by the sea! And, with lots of input from the excellent Neil Yates, has a pretty […]
- Bristol jazz week – 16 July - Here’s the weekly rundown from Tony Benjamin. He seems to think the Fringe is the place to be on Wednesday, to hear Nick Malcolm, Olie Brice, Tony Orrell and Paul Dunmall. I concur. For further encouragement, here are Orrell and Dunmall with another excellent bass and trumpet pairing at the Keith Tippett benefit just the […]
- Bristol jazz week – 10 July - Brilliant night on Sunday at the Keith Tippett benefit – a full house, good music, and a decent amount raised for the great man. Nice to see the strength in depth of the Bristol scene (Paul Dunmall and Percy Pursglove are here so often they feel as if they can be counted in there), and […]
- A bonus – Yunmi Kang & Sangyeon Park, St Stephens, July 6 - It was too hot to go out, but cool inside the old church – and worth the excursion to hear a lovely set by two visitors from afar. OK, Yunmi Kang (vocal, piano) and her partner Sangyeon Park (guitar) both studied in Europe (Germany, the Netherlands) but they hail from South Korea. Visiting Bristol, a […]
- Late jazz announcement – Strigalev/Murray tonight - Here’s an unexpected opportunity to hear a rather remarkable player, albeit at almost no notice – That’s Zhenya Strigalev, who is phenomenal on alto sax. The duo he’s in here sounds pretty good, too. Steve at Future Inns writes: It is with huge apologies that Tomasz Bura has had to cancel his appearance tonight at Jazz […]