I’m a jazz
enthusiast obsessive, and write about it occasionally for JazzWise, LondonJazzNews, and here, on my jazz blog devoted to musical happenings in and around Bristol. I used to document absolutely everything, for my own interest, but have shifted down a gear to now post news of upcoming gigs that catch my eye and reviews of ones that seem out of the ordinary. There are also links to Bristol venues and events listings if you want to know what’s going on.
By the way, it’s very kind of you to send me your CD, but I almost certainly won’t review it, and if I did the readership of a provincial jazz blog almost certainly wouldn’t do you much good. Do tell me about any under-publicised gigs, though, and I’ll make noise either here or (more likely) on twitter.
Posts start below.
- Bristol jazz week – 22 Jan - An early appearance this week for Tony Benjamin‘s weekly listing. Here’s the link on Bristol247. Good things happening at the Hen and Chicken and Future Inns, particularly, this week. TB’s previews have been ranging far and wide over more adventurous jazz-related musics recently, you may have noticed – touching on venues this blog rarely visits […]
- Andrew Bain and friends – Fringe bar, Jan 17th - This was billed as Bain’s quintet, but he quickly made it clear it’s basically a bunch of old mates. With the drummer (last heard in Bristol at the Hen and Chicken in 2016) now happily resident in Clifton, the Fringe is his local, and he took the opportunity to reconvene a line-up who used to […]
- Bristol jazz this week – Jan 15 - Here’s the regular listing of gigs from Bristol247. The Andrew Bain-led line-up at the Fringe tomorrow (Weds) is my gig of the week, I think. His Embodied Hope project (tour and recording) last year was superb and the quintet he’s presenting on this return visit to Bristol, with Sam Crockett on sax and Bain’s fellow Birmingham […]
- Bristol jazz – looking ahead 2 - As Tony Benjamin details here, all our favourite venues are now back in business after the break. His listing will tell you about the coming week, so I’m going to look a bit further ahead again in case you want to plan your diary without trawling the venue websites. See last post for listing of […]
- Bristol jazz – looking ahead 1 - A quiet week musically here, although the BeBop club resumes on Friday with George Cooper’s quintet. Plenty of enticing gigs in the calendar after that. I’ll list some below, by venue, for those who find it tedious to trawl then individual websites. There’s a particularly strong opening to the year for the Fringe in Clifton. […]
- Looking back: 2017 highlights - Don’t seem to have done a post on best gigs last year, but 2017 has been such an odd one it feels important to set down that my favourite art form still provided some days of delight among the many when I was mainly feeling disgusted, or just mystified with what was happening. In no […]
- Seasonal gig listing - Not one but three weeks’ gigs rounded up here by Tony Benjamin for Bristol 247. Lots to choose from at the end of this week, then a gap until New Year. But the seasonal breaks are short. The BeBop club returns on Jan 5th, Fringe Jazz the week after and Future Inns – well, who […]
- Bristol gigs this week… - Are previewed here, as usual. I have one to add. It’s not strictly a jazz gig, but if you have paid any attention to good stuff in the last decade you’ll want to know that Jasper Hoiby is visiting Cafe Kino in Stokes Croft on Friday. He’s accompanying singer and songwriter Ana Silvera (I think they […]