I’m a jazz
enthusiast obsessive, and write about it occasionally for JazzWise, LondonJazzNews, and here, on my jazz blog devoted to musical happenings in and around Bristol. I used to document absolutely everything, for my own interest, but have shifted down a gear to now post news of upcoming gigs that catch my eye and reviews of ones that seem out of the ordinary. There are also links to Bristol venues and events listings if you want to know what’s going on.
By the way, it’s very kind of you to send me your CD, but I almost certainly won’t review it, and if I did the readership of a provincial jazz blog almost certainly wouldn’t do you much good. Do tell me about any under-publicised gigs, though, and I’ll make noise either here or (more likely) on twitter.
Posts start below.
- Endless renewals: Rhiannon Giddens and Anouar Brahem, Belfast/Dublin The other pair of ears and I were both across the Irish Sea last weekend, and a St Patrick’s Day holiday itinerary wrote itself: Rhiannon Giddens at the Black Box on Friday night (booked long ago as I was sure it would be a solid sellout – it was); and a later buy-in to Anouar […]
- Bristol jazz week – 18 MarchIt looks like a snow-free weekend for Bristol’s jazz festival this year, so all set for a great weekend. My preview’s in the last post, and there’s another here with plenty of good video links. There are still some gigs to note before the Festival gets under way. Frequent collaborators John Pearce and Dave Newton are […]
- Bristol jazz fest – 2019Keeping an eye on the weather forecast already after last year’s Bristol festival was almost brought to a halt by Saturday evening/Sunday morning snow. But the festival crew have bounced back with a wide-ranging programme in their new (main) home at Bristol University SU. No snow this year, we hope – and no Colston Hall […]
- Bristol jazz this week – 12 MarchA post in haste to pass on the usual link giving details of all the gigs in town – here they are.
- Bristol jazz week – March 4As we count down to the Bristol Jazz and Blues Festival, there’s already a feast of good music on offer in March. Tony Benjamin has details of the coming week’s delights, as usual. Out of the ordinary dates include the remarkable hybrid ensemble Laura Jurd has recruited for a short tour. He links that to […]
- Nick Malcolm – Real isn’t RealI’ve reviewed Nick’s excellent new CD for LondonJazz. Posting the link here, for local interest…
- Bristol jazz week – 27 FebA bit late this week – passing on the usual link to the best listing of all things jazzy and musically adventurous in Bristol. That is all.
- Orphic, Tobacco Factory, 24 FebMy regular reader (I’m sure there once was one) will recall my eagerly anticipated engagement at the Barbican last Monday to enjoy Joshua Redman’s Still Dreaming. Great gig (I’ve tagged reviews in the original post). Last number before the encore: Redman’s catchy Unanimity, played real fast after a lengthy solo tenor intro. Six nights later, […]