I’m a jazz
enthusiast obsessive, and write about it occasionally for JazzWise, LondonJazzNews, and here, on my jazz blog devoted to musical happenings in and around Bristol. I used to document absolutely everything, for my own interest, but have shifted down a gear to now post news of upcoming gigs that catch my eye and reviews of ones that seem out of the ordinary. There are also links to Bristol venues and events listings if you want to know what’s going on.
By the way, it’s very kind of you to send me your CD, but I almost certainly won’t review it, and if I did the readership of a provincial jazz blog almost certainly wouldn’t do you much good. Do tell me about any under-publicised gigs, though, and I’ll make noise either here or (more likely) on twitter.
Posts start below.
- Gig(s) of the week – 15 JulyMay not have time to do the preview thing this week, but do want to recommend Jim Blomfield’s date at the Fringe on Wednesday. Here’s a repost of the link to my review of his trio’s excellent second CD, which will doubtless be the jumping off point for their live show. Very resourceful contemporary piano […]
- Bristol Jazz week – and a look back at LondonLooking forward to hearing Mark Lockheart’s new quartet at the Fringe tomorrow – Jon Taylor just keeps coming up with unmissable dates. I’ve already written about last week’s Bley School session, which was a nice evening in the middle of a week topped by the remarkable Maria Schneider on one of her rare visits to […]
- Bley School, Fringe, 3 JulyWhile I sat listening, I was also thinking, “writing about this would defeat me”. Still, a gig this good deserves some kind of record. This good? In its way, yes. That way was pretty much what I expected from the personnel, and the dedicatee, Paul Bley. The late pianist was never exactly a household name […]
- Bristol jazz week – July 1Jazz in Bris, you say? Well, my attention’s been elsewhere, but Tony Benjamin’s got it covered so that’s OK. See his previews here. Also: Maria Schneider is at Ronnie Scott’s this week – yay! PS: also – this… SONGS OF PALESTINE BY ZAID HILAL WITH BEJE – Thu 4 July // 20:00 Tickets: £9 full […]
- Bristol jazz week – 25 JuneMay not manage any gigs this week, as there’s a theatre festival that will get most of my attention. (This one, if you’re interested). Hence, I suppose, giving way to the impulse to see three in quick succession last week. First up were The Schmoozenbergs at the Wardrobe Theatre last Thursday. They were launching a […]
- Bristol jazz week – 18 JuneAn impressive variety of stuff around town this week, as usual. All the details from Tony Benjamin here. The classical/jazz meeting in Clifton on Saturday is probably the most unusual offering. It is the latest in an annual series, and features William Goodchild and the 70-piece Bristol Symphony Orchestra. The two halves will feature arrangements […]
- Bristol jazz week – 11 JuneHere’s the run-down on every possible kind of gig this week from Tony Benjamin. The BeBop club are on their summer break now, but there’s still plenty to choose from. There’s even a new venue – the Den Dockside in Prince Street. They have a date for Jim Blomfield’s excellent trio, whose fascinating CD I […]
- Distributed delights – Bristol (&Bath, Cardiff) jazz week.As I write I’m listening to Tori Freestone’s fine new trio release on Whirlwind records (so can you here). They’re one of several fine ensembles in the region this week, and probably the one most likely to be overlooked, as they play in the small space at St George’s on Saturday at the unjazzy hour […]