I’m a jazz
enthusiast obsessive, and write about it occasionally for JazzWise, LondonJazzNews, and here, on my jazz blog devoted to musical happenings in and around Bristol. I used to document absolutely everything, for my own interest, but have shifted down a gear to now post news of upcoming gigs that catch my eye and reviews of ones that seem out of the ordinary. There are also links to Bristol venues and events listings if you want to know what’s going on.
By the way, it’s very kind of you to send me your CD, but I almost certainly won’t review it, and if I did the readership of a provincial jazz blog almost certainly wouldn’t do you much good. Do tell me about any under-publicised gigs, though, and I’ll make noise either here or (more likely) on twitter.
Posts start below.
- Jazz by the sea – a few notes on Swanage 2022Swanage had a few travails even before the pandemic so it was good to see the festival bounce back after … More
- Where’s the blog gone…?Posts here got sparse during the pandemic, then focussed on one idea – a track a week – through last … More
- Rambling on – 13: Dancing in your head?I came to a stop last time with Roger Scruton’s declaration that there is nothing to be learned about music … More
- Rambling on – 12: A different mysteryDo gibbon duets work up a kind of proto-musical call and response? With the ear of faith, perhaps. But of … More
- Rambling on 11 – what is sound good for?Almost certainly unnecessary continuity note: held this piece until I’d written some more, but I haven’t. So posting now, and … More
- Rambling 10 – Origins of what?Thought of missing a week, because of wars and stuff, but trying to keep this regular for now. Consequently, what’s … More
- Rambling on – 9. Here comes the good bit.Can one get a bit deeper into how this bit of music produces its effects? Others think so, so I’ll … More
- Keeping good company – Martin Speake next weekI’ve lost the habit of highlighting upcoming gigs but here’s a good one that’s got me excited in advance. Altoist … More